The members of Royal Independent School District Police Department are committed, dedicated and focused on our leaders of today and tomorrow. The mission is to protect life and property, prevent crime and reduce the fear of crime. The police department strives to provide service with understanding, response with compassion, and performance with integrity in order to maintain a safe learning environment where all students have the opportunity to learn and all teachers may teach.
STATEMENT OF VALUES:
These values guide the operation of the department and conduct of its members. These are our fundamental beliefs from which our agency set policy, delivers services and implements programs. Values set standards for our member in executing their public safety duties. These values guide our actions.
- Our highest priority is the protection of human life. There is no more important priority to the Royal Independent School District Police Department than protection of human life. This belief is reflected in every aspect of police conduct. Our highest priority will always be to protection of human life. In an violent situations, we are committed in using all reasonable means to prevent injury to the district.
- We believe that while crime prevention is our principal goal, we should vigorously pursue those who commit serious crimes. The department's primary focus must be crime prevention. However, when crimes do occur, the department must react with vigorous law enforcement, moving aggressively toward arrest and prosecution of the perpetrator. Vigorous law enforcement is an important deterrent to serious crimes.
- We treat members of the district and public with respect and dignity. We maintain the highest levels of integrity and professionalism in all actions. We will treat all those we serve in a compassionate, sensitive, courteous and professional manner, regardless of sex, race, lifestyle, or reason for police contact. The integrity of the department must not be compromised. There can be no question or suspicion among the district or public regarding department ethics. Professionalism requires impeccable conduct, careful protection of all students, faculty, staff and community rights and the maintenance of high levels of accountability from all members of the department.
- We recognize that the department members are its greatest asset and assume responsibility to treat them professionally and support their professional development. All department members are entitled to respectful, fair and consistent treatment. In matters impacting member job satisfaction and effectiveness, we seek the input of our members and involve them in the decision making process.
- We are committed to solving the district problems. We care about the quality of life in district and believe that our services must answer their needs. The department will provide a rapid and effective response to life threatening situations and other public safety emergencies. We are and will seek new ways to address problems of crime, fear of crime, disorder, physical and social disruption. We are committed to providing a highly visible presence in the district.
- We maintain open communication with all the communities we serve. Their input helps to determine polices, priorities and strategies. The department recognizes the need to collaborate with the district and communities in order to reduce crime, disorder, fear and all those negative factors lessening the quality of life. We cannot effectively deal with these by ourselves. Through open communication, we strive to increase public understanding of law enforcement complexities, to ensure the certainty that the department priorities match community expectations, and to inform the public of the reasons for police actions.
- We are committed to managing our resources in a careful, efficient and effective manner. The management of the police department's ultimate objective is to deliver quality service to our clients with a minimum cost.